How to relax without a holiday
This is meant to be the peak time of year when people book holidays. Maybe it’s the January blues or just the desire to go somewhere warmer! One of the main things that people want to do when they go on holiday is to relax. To ‘escape from it all’. But what if you could could ‘escape from it all’ anytime you wanted to?
So what ways do you currently relax? With a glass of wine or a beer at the end of the day? With a bubble bath? With yoga? Everyone’s techniques and strategies are different.
Imagine yourself 21 days from now….
Sleeping better, eating better, feeling better and people asking what your secret is! You can make real changes to your health in just 21 days for free. Sign up now.
There is physical relaxation and mental relaxation. They are interlinked and often relaxing one, relaxes the other. For example, if you’ve ever had a massage you might notice that when you lie on the massage table you are still thinking about the day’s work, or your kids, or your partner or your mile long to do list but as the treatment progresses, those things seem to ease and you are able to enjoy lovely ‘floaty’ feelings.
Build relaxation into your mindset
But what if you didn’t need to get to the point where you feel desperate for the need to relax on holiday or to unwind with a massage? As a Hypnotherapist, I spend most of my life in a relaxed state (don’t worry, I still get lots done). So much so that when I go on holiday I have plenty of energy for sightseeing and exploring! Because I have built relaxation into my mindset and make it a priority and you can too.
A lot of my clients say ‘they think too much’ or they ‘can’t switch off’ and then they have Hypnotherapy and say ‘wow!’ because it is a truly deeply relaxing state like no other. A state where you can just be and have lovely thoughts and visions in your subconcious (like meditating but better). Once you have connected to this deeply relaxed state, you will want to do it again! I give my clients recordings to listen to at home.
Do you have 12 minutes spare to relax?
Just share from this box and you’ll be able to download a fantastic audio that will help you relax. I’ve been told that this is a really easy way to switch off and relax because all you have to do is lie down and listen!
You can listen to a free relaxing download by me here
So how else can you relax?
The benefits of relaxation include lowered blood pressure and reduction in the thickening of the artery walls. Also slower age related memory loss and brain-cell deterioration. Being relaxed also improves your digestive process.
- Improve your breathing, Breathing is our life-force and we take it for granted! Just try this. close your eyes and monitor your breathing for a couple of minutes. Then slow it down slightly and notice any difference. “Learn how to exhale, the inhale will take care of itself” – Carla Melucci Ardito
- Progressive muscle relaxation. Lie down. Work from up to down your body or down to up. Tense the muscles in your feet and then relax them, then do the same for your legs, your buttocks, your stomach, your arms, your hands and lastly your face.
- Yoga. There is a 30 minute yoga flow here
- Try sitting quietly and focusing on your heart. When you have settled, place your hand on your heart and take slow and considered breathes and really connect with your heart.
- Shake your legs and hands for one minute. When you finish you will feel relaxed.
- Take a nap.
- Play some relaxing music.
- Use aromatherapy oils around your house. Lavender, neroli and ylang ylang are relaxing.
- Make a space in your home where you can relax.
Add your ideas for ways to relax in the comments. We would love to hear them.
The important thing is once you build relaxation into your life, it becomes a habit. You mind understands what is required and does it for you more easily. It will soon be second nature:)
This blog is one in a 30 day series about self-development and practical lists we will be making to enhance our lives. I’m using these blogs to provide coaching and advice in my capacity as a qualified coach and Hypnotherapist working locally in West Sussex and Worldwide on Skype.
Quick review of your tenth list list:
Your tenth list was about judgements you might hold. Were there any surprises on that list for you?
Your eleventh list:
Your eleventh list is simply to make a list of ways you can personally relax. Choose things that appeal to you, that fit into your life. Even if you were to relax for 2 minutes every day you would feel benefits in a week.
See you tomorrow.